Come join me in my quest to live a happier more frugal way of life, while enjoying the more traditional family values.

Friday, September 24, 2010

The High and Low cost of Beauty



As mentioned in my last blog, one of my goals for the next year is to look after myself a little more kindly. It,s now a lot harder to just run a brush through your hair and brush your teeth before heading out the door,that,s all right when your in your 20s 30s 40s and to some degree 50s but at Sixty I can,t rely on Mother Nature to look after me, and so some money had to be spent this weekend on me.

But before I tell you how much I spent let me first tell you how much I am able to save on skincare and fragrances and to a lesser degree cosmetics. For example this morning I used
Dior Capture R60/80 Abrasion rides ( exfoliating scrub )
Dior Capture Totale Concentrated Serum ( only used twice weekly )
Dior Capture R60/80 Eye cream ( wrinkles round the eyes )
Dior Capture R60/80 Ultimate Wrinkle Cream (daily moisturiser )
Miss Dior Cherie Body Milk ( skin moisturiser )
Miss Dior Cherie EDP ( My all time favourite weekend scent )
After this I used a Dior Foundation, Dior Mascara and a Dior Lip Gloss, this was enough make-up for a trip to the local shops, and the price of all this beauty was NOTHING - ZILCH - ZERO - DIDDLY SQUAT.
My Sister-in-Law works for Dior and so on Birthdays Christmas,s and sometimes just because she can my MIL and I are given samples, gifts and end of range products. These are all the genuine articles and my skin is wonderful for a lady my age. I went hunting the Internet looking for prices for these products and every website is different but I worked it out to be around $547.00 worth of product I have at my disposal every day.

Obviously Woman cannot live by Dior alone and so my total spent on myself over the last 24 hours was.
Brows threaded and tinted and brow massage $40.00 and worth every cent.
Clairol Nice and Easy Med Champagne Blonde $13.00( got to cover the grey )
Sally Hanson Nail Hardener $ 16.95 ( my nails are so brittle )
Cutex Top Coat $6.45 ( my nail polish keeps chipping )
A Nail Buffer $8.20 ( hate hate hate emery boards )
A comb to keep my hair up at work $5.00 ( can,t wait to have my hair shorter again )
Hairspray $3.00 ( this is actually to keep my unruly brows in place )
And finally a top from our local seconds store $5.00
Total spends on me $97.00 this is the first time in years I have had the spare money to treat myself with, I could have gone mad and gone to the Hairdressers as well, but until I,m sure what I want I,ll continue to do it myself.

So I suppose the point of this blog is to figure out if I get over $500 of products free does that mean I am entitled to spend $100 on myself in other areas. Or am i allowed to spend on these areas anyway, as long as they are necessities. And are beauty products a neccessity ?? What are your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. I'd say YES! One of the best things we can do for ourselves is to make sure we feel good inside and outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To some people necessity means only food, clothing and shelter but anything that makes me feel like a woman and helps me feel better about myself, is a necessity to some extent - as long as I am not going out and blowing a ton of money. When I look good, I feel good and everyone wins in my family when I feel good about myself.

    I need to update my beauty regimen as I have become a little complacent since being home full time and now that I am in my 50's, I have become more high maintenance.

    Enjoyed this post quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it makes you feel good go for it. I know the first week I got paid I went to priceline and bought some new makeup, first time in about 2 years!

    ReplyDelete

All spam will be deleted