Come join me in my quest to live a happier more frugal way of life, while enjoying the more traditional family values.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Singing Chef



When my Sister and I decided to buy and run our Restaurant I said right from day 1 that I had no interest in the Kitchen side of the business, so I became front of house and Sis wanted the Chef's position. Firstly let me say that she is an excellent COOK and not a trained Chef. Round the corner from where she lived was a very busy Italian Restaurant where the Chef's joked, sang and interacted with customers and this was where my sister thought we should be heading. Unfortunately our kitchen was a lot smaller and more enclosed in fact you couldent even see customers from where food was prepared. So dream no. 1 was dashed for her.
Running a kitchen must be one of the hardest jobs out I personally could not take the pressure and after only one week of working with our experienced chef my Sister came to me in tears " I can't do this I hate it she said " what is the alternative ? I asked, and that was to employ our supposedly temporary chef on a full time basis. We could not afford to do this but had no option, so from week one our wage bill became our biggest outlay.
Around this time my sister became really unwell and was diagnosed with whooping cough and this coincided with a visit from her Husband ( remember the one she had left 3 months earlier ) from the moment he arrived she leaned on him for everything and it soon became obvious that they were going to get back together. And 3 weeks later she let me know those were her plans, but don't worry she said I will come over every 6 weeks and help out in The Restaurant and help also with the paperwork.
Two visits later she told me she was pulling out completely, she actually bought her way out of a business which she had just bought herself into, we split all the bills some late rent, tax, and our Chef's superannuation and now the business was mine and mine alone.
Was I scared ?? you bet.


All Things Financial

I am going back to where I was before " The Restaurant " planning meals going on no spending months filling up my jars. My sidebars are all wrong and as soon as I get my head around all bloggers changes I will update them.
The Foxx and I are working as a team just now and I will tell you how that came about later in my story,

A big shout out to  my blogger friends, you are all truly inspirational and your progresses financially are encouraging, as well as your blogging skills I have been very impressed by how professional you have all become. I now know where to go for help when I need it LOL

8 comments:

  1. I can't run my own kitchen so I would be totally lost in a restaurant's kitchen!! I can heat up a frozen lasagna but that's about it. To be left with all of that responsibility, my lord Maureen, it's a wonder you didn't give up right then and there. SO MUCH WORK!! I'd be having a nervous breakdown and running for the hills. What a roller coaster ride you've been on my dear - I'm glad you're sharing your journey with us, it can't be easy though. Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane like you my favourite place is definitely not the kitchen can't understand why some people call it a passion !!!!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. My sister and her husband have a restaurant. Even if you love it and it's a passion it is a tough, time consuming job. Evenings. Weekends. early mornings. I don't know that I could do that kind of job. We'll all be here for you as you regroup and plot a different path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolie hats off to your Sister and BIL I know how hard they are working......

      Delete
  3. I remember working in a kitchen one summer as an assistant chef. I was happy to hang up the apron once I was done. I don't mind cooking/ banking for fun but I think the fun runs out when your doing it for a living unless you really love it.

    If you need any help with navigating the blogger format and such I am sure we would all be willing to help! Just give us a shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah I am slowly but surely managing to post and comment, but I have no clue where I got my wallpaper from and I was thinking it may be time for a change, but all in good time.
      I hate hate hate the kitchen.........

      Delete
  4. just sounds like a ton of work....

    ReplyDelete

All spam will be deleted