Come join me in my quest to live a happier more frugal way of life, while enjoying the more traditional family values.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Restaurant Has Caught Up With Me Again


My Usual Ostrich Act

This time I definitely know it's my fault I took my eye of the ball expected others to do the job for me and now I have to face the consequences. It seems that every time I get complacent Murphy visits, every time I think I have my debts sorted I get sideswiped.

When I walked away from The Restaurant thinking that I had sold it, I left behind a Dishwasher, a Restaurant quality one which I was leasing for around $19 a week. The couple who were buying the business from us had agreed to take over the lease, before they changed there minds and left me high and dry. Once my Sister and I closed down the bank accounts for the business the standing order to the rental company got cancelled. This payment came out weekly so about 2 days after the payment did not go through I was contacted by the Rental firm to check on why. I was very ill at the time both emotionaly ( I had a complete breakdown ) and physically ( a bad case of shingles ) and so I gave them the Landlords name and mobile phone number and left it up to them to make the arrangements to pick up their machine.

At this time I only owed 1 payment and 6 months on my lease agreement.
Should I have followed this up, sure, did I follow this up, no. I stuck my head in the sand and hoped it would all get sorted and then it would just go away. But it has not and yesterday I received an email from the company demanding I make a late payment of almost $900.

I must admit I got really angry probably not the right emotion, but why the hell did they not pick up the machine ? Why allow someone to run up months of back payments and never contact them to tell them this was happening ? So they have been gaily slapping on charges for a machine they knew I no longer wanted !!!!!

I sent them back an email yesterday which they have probably responded to by now, but I have stuck my head in the sand again and have not checked my inbox. I never slept again last night worrying about The Restaurant. How many times is this going to happen, instead of giving me great joy this Restaurant has caused me a world of pain. I thought it was going to end up a legacy instead it has ended up a nightmare........

13 comments:

  1. That's a shame, but the best thing to do right now is check that email and focus on getting the dishwasher removed and sorted. Do you have a record of your last conversation with the hire company? Point back to it and make it clear that it was agreed the dishwasher would be removed way back when.

    Then take a really good look at the other details relating to the restaurant to make sure this is the last time Murphy comes knocking. Just get it all over and done with and then settle in to your new (stress-free!) life without any of the old stuff hanging over your head.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely know you are right but I am feeling a bit battered right now. I am wishing I was a much stronger person....

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Tell them they can't get blood out of turnip or find a way to pay for this and move on. Your life is worth more than beating yourself up over opening a restaurant in a bad economy. I know you worked hard and you know you worked harder than you ever have before you deserve a pat on the back for surviving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost sure that the hire company has had to deal with worse cases than me in these economic times. My Hubby wants to fight this all the way however I just want it gone...

      Delete
  3. Feeling sad for you. There's nothing worse than an old problem which keeps rearing its ugly head. You think it's all finished and taken care of and WHAM!! it gets you again. I'm with "moneyfreedomlife" above - check into everything and make sure there are no other "surprises" lurking out there Maureen. Then you'll be able to sleep at night again.
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane I am feeling sad for me and that's half my problem I just let everything get me down. I take it so personally. Right now I am once again envying my Sister who is making plans for a trip to the UK. She is then stopping off in Kuala Lumpur for a break because she has had "a really bad year" WHAT THE !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maureen, no, dont lie back and take it! I have seen you are stronger than that - I agree with your hubby - fight it to the end. You will feel better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is terrible. Shingles is the worst thing, that on top of all the stress and emotion of the business closure. I am so sorry for you - I know sorry doesn't change things, but you have really been through a lot. You have the legacy of grandchildren and much more besides.

    Do you have any close friends who could do the talking for you - follow up on the original arrangements and send details, or even just open that inbox for you? Could your sister take on some of the responsibility? It's a lot for you to deal with alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have to go and make the statutory declaration (cost you 50 c) and send to the hire company,just what you told us.
    Then send to them via mail maybe registered and I do not think you will hear from them again.
    You know how to make the statutory declaration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes you have to dig deep inside yourself and find the strength to deal with things. I agree with all of the comments. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, I'm so sorry that stuff like this keeps happening!! But you can't hide from it! I'd say, fight it. What's there to lose? Well, I know it will probably be stressful but we are talking $900. I know you are strong and can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shingles are the pits! I had them a few years back, down one leg, and literally could not work for a week. About the dishwasher--since there really is a dispute as to when they should have picked it up, would they accept a couple of hundred to go away? Just make sure you get any agreement in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I AM FINALLY FREE FROM FINANCIAL BONDAGE THANKS TO MOORE LOAN COMPANY (mooreloancompany@yahoo.com).

    Good day everyone,I can’t hide this great testimony that took place in my life I will love everyone to know it and be a partaker of this, that is why I want to share it to the whole world by placing this advert on classifieds, I am Mrs Karen Brown by name, I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee United State, I want to thank ROBBINSON MOORE for his kindness upon my family life, I never knew that there is still a sincere and trustworthy lender like this on the internet and on earth. Just some days I was in search for a loan of $ 100,000.00, As I was running out of money for feeding, School fees, My business was really going out of capital and my rent. I was scammed about $15,000.00 dollars and I decided not to involve my self in such business again. But a Friend of mine introduced me to a loan firm due to my appearance and doings and also my complains to her. And I told her that I am not interested in any loan deal anymore but she told me that there is still a sincere lender who she will recommend me to, And she gave me the details of this man who is called MOORE ROBBINSON. And I really put a trial and I am most greatful and lucky today, I was given a loan amount of $95,000,00 Dollars by this great firm MOORE LOAN COMPANY. If you are in need of a genuine, Sincere, durable and a truth worthy loan lender or financial assistance and also you know you can be reliable and trusted, capable of paying back at the due / duration time of the funds I will advice you to send your contact to them via email @[ mooreloancompany@yahoo.com] OR Text (414) 454-9493 .
    .

    ReplyDelete

All spam will be deleted